Name: Clea Helen D’etienne DuVall
Date of Birth: 25 September 1977
Place of Birth: Los Angeles, California, USA
Height: 5′ 5″ (1.65 m)
Clea DuVall was born in Los Angeles on September 25, 1977. DuVall’s teenage years presented her with many challenges. Her parents divorced when she was twelve, and, when her
mother remarried, DuVall moved out because she did not feel at home in the newly-reconstituted family, dropping out of high school and getting her own apartment. An only child,
she sought entertainment in movies and television programs, which she consumed voraciously, memorizing entire scenes from movies. Though a rather shy person, DuVall decided she
wanted to be an actress, and returned to high school, this time the Los Angeles High School of the Arts. However, the rigors of independent living (she had to work to support
herself) meant that she could spend little time in class, and, as a result, she fared poorly in the school.
Nonetheless, DuVall had intensity, commitment and strong natural talent, and soon after graduating, the roles began to come, at first guest spots in television programs and
small roles in small films. Soon her first major role came, in Robert Rodriguez’s successful 1998 take on the alien-body-snatcher genre, The Faculty (1998), which featured many
other up-and-coming young actors such as Elijah Wood and Josh Hartnett, as well as a strong cast of established adult performers. DuVall played Stokely, a bizarre, tough Goth
Girl. This role was typical of DuVall’s casting – the outsider, attractive though in an edgy and sometimes slightly disturbing way. (DuVall is pretty and can be glamorous, or
can appear rough-around-the-edges, for a role.) Similar roles came in But I’m a Cheerleader (1999) as a tattooed lesbian and Girl, Interrupted (1999) as a mental patient.
DuVall is a complex person – soft-spoken and friendly, yet tough and independent – and she ably lends this complexity to her characters, making her a popular casting choice.
She continues to turn in strong performances in such productions as the ensemble thriller Identity (2003), the HBO Gen-X supernatural series “Carnivàle” (2003) and the
critically-praised 21 Grams (2003). DuVall is a chain smoker and a close friend of director Jamie Babbit. She is no relation to veteran actor Robert Duvall.
IMDb Mini Biography By: Larry-115
– Graduated from the L.A. County High School for the Arts. [June 1995]
– Took a small role in She’s All That (1999) to support her friend, Rachael Leigh Cook, in her first leading movie role. The two met on the set of The Defenders: Payback (1997).
– Practices tae kwon do.
– Worked in a coffee shop before appearing in Little Witches (1996).
– Is an only child
– She and Katharine Towne worked together in 3 movies in the span of two years. They first appeared in Girl (1998), then as best friends in She’s All That (1999), and finally as two lesbians trying to prove their true directions in But I’m a Cheerleader (1999).
– Often works with her good friend Summer Phoenix.
– [About Little Witches (1996)] “How did you know about ‘Little Witches’?? You’ve seen it? So you’ve seen my ass! Oh my God, I can’t believe this. I did that movie when I was 18.
– ‘Little Witches’ doesn’t count. It was my first movie and I had no clue what I was doing, I mean, my God, I worked in a coffee house while that film was being shot”.
– “All of my fans are like fourteen-year-old boys”
– “I’m an only child and I’m just a real loner kind of person, and yeah, kinda dark. But I’m happy. Not sad. I’m just shy and nervous.”